Jeptha Dennis (Jep) Barber
Jeptha Dennis Barber, son of John Benjamin Barber and his wife Mary Smith, was born 18 Sept 1878, Appling CO, GA and died 21 Nov 1971 Bunnell, Flagler CO, FL. He was married 28 Dec 1898 in Alma, Bacon CO, GA to Minnie Sweat, dau of Allen Sweat and Mary Jane Taylor born, 15 Feb 1883 Appling CO, GA, died 06 May 1973 Palatka, Putnam CO, FL. Both are buried at the Espanola Cemetery, Espanola, Flagler CO, FL.
Jep Barber first came to Florida in 1903. He was employed by George Deen (see sketch on George W. Deen) at a sawmill and turpentine still that was in the Haw Creek area (now known as St Johns Park). He made the trip from Appling Co to St
Johns County, Fla by train and embarked at Espanola.
He moved his wife and four children to the area in 1905. The infant daughter, Grace, died shortly after arriving and was buried at Espanola Cemetery when there were no roads and the body was carried through the woods to the cemetery.
After Isaac I. Moody, Jr. and Major James Frank Lambert acquired a large tract of land for turpentine operation and then development, they employed Jep Barber and the family moved to Bulow where he built houses and cabins for the turpentine still. Their next move was to Relay, on a flat car on the tram railroad. They resided in Dupont when he was employed by Utley J. White.
The family moved to Bunnell about 1908 when the residents were very few and dwelling houses scarce and they lived in several houses before purchasing the house on N. Anderson Street from R. L. Harper, former editor and owner of the Flagler Tribune.
An item in the Bunnell Home Builder in July 1916 stated that Mr J.D. Barber had completed a nice two story dwelling house on Ocean Street at Ocean City next door to Adolph Deen, and the family then occupying the house. Jeptha D. Barber was a Charter Member of Bunnell Lodge #200 F & AM.
A story which appeared in the Thursday, January 13, 1977 edition of The Flagler Tribune stated that: Two stained-glass windows in the First Methodist Church in Bunnell were dedicated to Minnie and Jeptha Barber in a ceremony Sunday. The windows, one showing the ascension of Jesus Christ and the other Christ as a shepherd, were handcrafted by members of the Walsh Studios in Daytona Beach (Jack Walsh, owner, Howard Donaldson, artist)
The family is found in the 1910 census of St. Johns County on page 69. You will note there was an error in Mr Barber's name, it was Jep not Jack, and also in fifth child named Eunice and marked as a dau when it was Eulice, a son. They are found in the 1920 census of Flagler County on page 6 with the fourth child named Ella when it should be Ellie. His occupation was given as "Manager Sawmill." Mr and Mrs Barber were the parents of seven children;
1. Garrie Hobart (Hob) Barber, born 23 Nov 1899 Appling CO, GA, died 08 Jan 1932 St Augustine, St Johns CO, FL married 15 June 1922 at the Bates Home, Bunnell, Flagler CO, FL by Judge W Lee Bartlett to Bernice Lucinda Bates, dau of Benjamin James Bates and Grace Caroline Campbell, born 21 Feb 1903, Velva, McHenry CO, NH, died 26 June 1971 Bunnell General Hospital, Bunnell, Flagler CO, FL. Both buried Espanola Cemetery, Espanola, Flagler CO, FL. Both are buried at Espanola Cemetery, Espanola, Flagler CO, FL. He was Flagler County Tax Assessor from 1924 until his death in 1932. Issue;
(1) Shelton Bristol Barber, born 02 June 1923 Bunnell, Flagler CO, FL, died 10 Jun 1999, Flagler CO, FL, married 18 Feb 1950, Folkston, Charlton CO, GA, Phyllis C. Kinney, dau of Arden Blair Kinney and Dorothy Mae (LNU), born 23 Sep 1926, OH, died 02 Jun 1998, Flagler CO, FL.
Phyliss was a resident of Wooster, OH before coming to Flagler CO, FL where she graduated from high school. She also attended Miami University in Oxford, OH. She was married previously to a Unknown Homan.
He served in U S Marine Corp during WW II, overseas in the Pacific including Honolulu, New Hebrides, Guadalcanal, Marshall Islands, Guam, Saipan, Taiwan and Okinawa. He lived his entire life within a four block radius of the Flagler County Courthouse. A staunch Democrat, he served as Bunnell's mayor and a municipal judge in the 10 years before his six-term, 24 year position as Clerk of the Circuit Court for Flagler CO. He retired in 1992.
He worked for Lehigh Portland Cement Co at Flagler Beach, and a construction company before becoming the county clerk. His community endeavors after the war included service in numerous area organizations. He was past treasurer of the Flagler County Council on Aging, former Flagler County Recruitment Chairman for the East Volusia-Flagler County American Red Cross Blood Donor Program, past president of the Bunnell Lions Club and past commander of Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 5213, of which he was serving as chaplain.
He also had served on the Governor's Commission on Criminal Justice, Standards and Goals and on the boards of directors of the United Way and the Tri County Health Board.
Barber combined his enjoyment of sports with his humanitarian endeavors. The U.S. Passport Bureau honored him for excellence with the Special Olympics Program. He also coached Little League Baseball and softball for eight years.
Other organizations of which he was a member include the Afro-American Heritage Association, African-American Cultural Society, Flagler County Art League and Flagler County Audubon Society. He was a lifelong member of the First United Methodist Church of Bunnell. Issue;
A. Kathleen Sue Barber, born 20 Dec 1946, FL, married 21 Oct 1974, Volusia CO, FL, Larry George Dever, son of George Edward and Ethelyn Mabel Dever, born 16 Aug 1947, Springfield, Windsor CO, VT. Issue;
a. Kim Dever
b. Kristina Dever (twin)
c. Kourtney Dever (twin)
B. Michael Kinney Barber, born 11 Jan 1952, Flagler Hospital, St Augustine, St Johns CO, FL, married 21 Dec 1975, Santa Maria del Mar Catholic, Flagler Beach, Flagler CO, FL, Colleen Susan Passaro, dau of Mario Passaro, born 21 Oct 1952.
Michael, a 1970 graduate of Bunnell High School, received a B.S. degree from the University of Florida in 1974. In Dec 1975 he was a health teacher and coach in Crystal River.
He was commissioned in Dec 1978 upon graduating from Officer Training School at Lackland AFB, TX, and was selected to go to Mather AFB, CA for navigator training. Michael retired from the United States Air Force in 1995 and resided in Merkle, TX.
Michael Kinney Barber married 22 Sep 1984, Abilene, Taylor CO, TX, Elizabeth Ann Hitt, dau of Robert Elmer Hitt & Billie Marilyn Hays, born 02 Jul 1948, Taylor CO, TX. Issue;
a. Sarah Anne Barber, born 19 Feb 1986, Marquette, Marquette CO, MI, married 01 Aug 2009, Merkel, Taylor CO, TX, Joshua Graham Stevens, son of Thomas Roger Stevens and Vicki Kaye Graham, born 01 Sep 1984, Farmersville, Collin CO, TX. Issue;
aa. Graham Stevens, born 16 Sep 2015
Elizabeth Ann Hitt, first married 15 Mar 1969, Dallas CO, TX, Thomas A. Thornell, son of Charles Max Thornell & Juanita Belle Watt, born 27 Oct 1946, Montague CO, TX (Div-22 Dec 1983). Issue;
a. Robert Charles Thornell, born 16 Oct 1970, Harris CO, TX, married 27 Jul 1996, Bexar CO, TX, Jenness L. Mechler, born 08 Jan 1973. Issue;
aa. Anna Elizabeth Thornell, born 08 Oct 2003
bb. William Robert Thornell, born 24 May 2005
cc. Kate Marie Thornell, born 13 Mar 2007
b. Emily Kathleen Thornell, born 17 Mar 1978, married Sep 2005, Robert Sean O'Shaughnessy. Issue;
aa. Allison Page O'Shaughnessy, born 24 May 2007
bb. Molly Caroline O'Shaughnessy, born 24 May 2007
cc. Elizabeth Renee O'Shaughnessy, born 02 Mar 2010
C. Garrie John Barber. born 11 Dec 1952, Flagler Hospital, St Augustine, St Johns CO, FL, died 17 Jul 2009, Flagler CO, FL, buried Espanola Cemetery, Espanola, Flagler CO, FL, married 07 May 1983, Bunnell, Flagler CO, FL, Laura Elaine Murray, dau of James Remley (Rem) Murray and Ruth Janice Peede, born 21 Jun 1952, Elberton, Elbert CO, GA.
As a teen, he graduated from Flagler Palm Coast High School and received an Electronics Certificate from Daytona Beach Community College. Throughout the years, he was a Jr. Partner for an insurance company, owned a fuel oil delivery business and in 1984, began working for GE. He then returned to school and received an AA Degree in Electronics and a second AA Degree in Computer Science. After 23 years with GE, (now Lockheed Martin), he retired.
Garrie was the Bunnell City Commissioner in 1996-1998. He was a Mason, and was a member of the 16th Masonic District, Lodge #100 in Bunnell, Lodge #81 in Daytona Beach, and Master of Lodge #77 in Barberville. In addition, he was a member of First United Methodist Church in Bunnell and a past member of the Band Parents Association at Palm Coast High School.
Garrie had a passion for antique cars and owned two. He never missed the annual Turkey Rod Run and Cruise In. In addition, he enjoyed mud bogging, gardening, and was an avid reader. Garrie was known as an honorable man, with a strong code of ethics and was always there to lend a helping hand.
a. Laura Marie Barber born 29 Nov 1990, Daytona Beach, Volusia CO, FL married 30 Mar 2013, Flagler Beach, Flagler CO, FL to Kevin Forrest Cooke. Issue;
aa. Luna Daenerys Cooke born 07 Sep 2016
(2) Annabelle Barber born 13 Apr 1925, Bunnell, Flagler CO, FL.
NOTE: Bernice Lucinda Bates Barber was married 23 Jun 1942 to W L Fowler
Bernice Lucinda Fowler was married 15 Jan 1949 to John Oliver Buckles
2. Mary Belle Barber, born 04 Apr 1901 Appling CO, GA, died 03 Apr 1987, St. Augustine, St Johns CO, FL, married 02 June 1930, Synder Mem Church, Jacksonville, Duval CO, FL, Claude Grady Varn, son of Frederick Newton Varn, CSA and Mary Louisa Seward, born 24 Aug 1890, Fort Meade, Polk CO, FL died 05 Jan 1979, St Augustine, St Johns CO, FL. Both bur Espanola Cemetery, Espanola, Flagler CO, FL. She had five step children; Wilford, Corise, Marilyn, Helen and Marjorie. See sketch on Claude Grady Varn for additional information on this family.
3. Ola Barber, born 11 Feb 1903 Appling CO, GA, died 24 Dee 1983, Flagler CO, FL. She is buried at Espanola Cemetery, Espanola, Flagler CO, FL. On 13 May 1926, in Crescent City, Putnam CO, FL she married Smiley Armstrong Baker, Jr, son of Smiley Armstrong Baker and Nellie Civil McKenzie, born 05 Jan 1904, Seville, Volusia CO, FL, died 06 Feb 1941, TB Sanatorium, Orlando, Orange CO, FL. He is buried in the Seville Cemetery, Seville, Volusia CO, FL.
Ola Barber Baker married in 1942, James Louis Robinson, son of James C Robinson and Elizabeth (Eliza) Hall, born 20 May 1886, Seville Volusia CO, FL, died 01 Nov 1947, Raiford, Union CO, FL. He completed his education at Stetson University which he attended in 1903-1904. After leaving college he worked for his father in the store at Seville for 3 years and then worked for the Van Orsdale store in Daytona. He then bought out the general stock of his father at Seville and rented the building and has conducted the store ever since. He was a Volusia CO Deputy Sheriff, first receiving the appointment when he was only 16 years old. He and his first wife, Eva Gertrude Parker, are buried in Seville Cemetery, Seville, Volusia CO, FL.
Ola Barber Robinson married in 1952, Leon CO, FL, Carlisle Appleby Byrd, son of Julian Edward Byrd and Minnie Lee Stokes, born 18 Oct 1905, SC, died 29 Mar 1987, Lake CO, FL. He and his first wife Mary Register are buried in Seville Cemetery, Seville, Volusia CO, FL.
4. Grace Barber, born 08 May 1905 Appling CO, GA, died 09 Dec 1905, St. Johns CO, FL, buried Espanola Cemetery, Espanola, Flagler CO, FL.
5. Ellie Barber, born 27 Oct 1907 Appling CO, GA, died 27 Nov 1966, Palatka, Putnam CO, FL, married 1946 George Connor Shaw Jr, son of George Connor Shaw and Rachel J (LNU), born 1910, FL, died 31 Aug 1954, Palatka, Putnam CO, FL. Both buried Espanola Cemetery, Espanola, Flagler CO, FL. Issue;
(1) Dennis Connor Shaw, born 25 Aug 1948, Glendale Hospital, Palatka, Putnam CO, FL
6. John Eulice (Pete) Barber, born 29 July 1909 Bunnell, Flagler CO, FL, died 11 Aug 1985 Bunnell, Flagler CO, FL, married 03 Apr 1937 Bunnell, Flagler CO, FL to Lina Mae Smith, dau of Charles Connor Smith and Adaline LaGrange Breland, born Ruffin, Colleton CO, SC, died 19 Sept 1979, Gainesville, Alachua CO, FL. Both buried Espanola Cemetery, Espanola, Flagler CO, FL.
He was a graduate of Bunnell High School and Drake's Business School in New York City.
In Sep 1931, according to an article in The Flagler Tribune, The Nifty Blue Moon orchestra was paying every Saturday night at The Flagler Hotel pleasing those who wished the peppiest jazz or waltz or the old fashioned round dance. The orchestra was composed of Peter Barber, leader and piano, Walter Benson, saxophone, Claude Deen trombone, Kenneth Jones, banjo, and Clare Biddle, drums (since the compiler's father, Claude played trumpet, and Walter Benson played trombone, there may be a few mistakes in the article)
In Apr 1937 he was employed by Kudrna Motor Company. He served with the 8th Air Force Ordnance, 448th Bombardment Group in England during W W II.
7. Audrey Montine Barber, born 12 May 1917 Bunnell, Flagler CO, FL, died 11 May 2010, Flagler Beach, Flagler CO, FL, married 03 Apr 1937 Bunnell, Flagler CO, FL to Jesse Hildreth McKnight Jr, son of Jesse Hildreth McKnight Sr and Minnie Lee Spivey, born 29 Mar 1916, Bunnell, Flagler CO, FL, died 02 May 1994, Flagler CO, FL. Both buried Espanola Cemetery, Espanola, Flagler CO, FL. They had two children, Diana and Jesse. See sketch on Jesse Hildreth McKnight for additional information on this family.
Audrey Montine Barber received a business degree from The Southern School of Commerce in Orlando, Fla. She worked for the Flagler County Abstract Company which was founded in 1917 by Claude G. Varn and Rudolph D. Peterson and obtained by Orlando Francis Alford about 1927. Mr Alford sold the company to Charles E. Creal, Lily J. Creal, W.L. Wadsworth and H.V. Peavy in 1965 with the Flagler County Insurance Agency included in the sale.
Audrey McKnight bought the Creal family's interest in the Abstract Company in 1973 and obtained the stock owned by Dick Watson, formerly owned by W.L. Wadsworth, in 1982. The insurance division having previously been acquired by H. V. Peavy. Her son and his wife worked in the Abstract Office and later acquired the business (the oldest continually operated business in Flagler CO)
Source: The First Families of Flagler by Mary Ketus Deen Holland who cited the following sources, Census, Published Articles and Audrey Barber McKnight.
Additional sources used by the compiler were: Florida Death Index, 1877-1998; the Florida Marriage Collection, 1822-1875 and 1927-2001; 1935 & 1945 Florida State Census; Social Security Death Index; Texas Birth Index, 1903-1997; Texas Marriage Collection, 1966-2002; Vermont Birth Records, 1909-2008; U.S. Public Records Index, Volumes 1 & 2; the Daytona Beach News-Journal, 02 Aug 2009, 16 May 2010 and Shelton Barber Family Informtion via email from Sarah Ann Stevens, 19 Jul 2010.
Please send questions, corrections or additions to Sisco Deen, P.O. Box 637, Flagler Beach, FL 32136 or email him at Sisco_Deen@hotmail.com