James Monroe Biddle
James Monroe Biddle, son of John Patterson Biddle and Margaret Drucilla (Maggie) Funk, was born 09 Jul 1878, Westmoreland CO, PA, died 08 Nov 1966, Starke, Bradford CO, FL, married Eleanor Minerva Brown who was born in 25 Aug 1880 in McKeesport, Allegheny CO, IL and died 09 Apr 1973 in Crescent City, Putnam CO, FL. They both are buried in Hickory Grove Cemetery, Green Cove Springs, Clay CO, FL
The family came to Flagler County in 1918 and they are listed on page 7 of the 1920 census with his occupation given as "Proprietor-Garage." The sketch on his brother, George L. Biddle, gives the account of the two families making the trip to Florida together, arriving in Bunnell on the 24 Sept 1918.
Also stated in the sketch on George Biddle is the account of their buying land to farm only to find part of it was in Gore Lake, and then renting land to farm and this not being too successful, both families moved from the farm into Bunnell and were in the garage business for a number of years, owning and operating the Bunnell Motor Company and the Ford Agency for a number of years.
In Jun 1925, he purchased five lots and the old school building thereon, located on Church Street and Lambert Ave from the Flagler CO, School Board for $4,000.
In Oct 1925, he started the erection of a residence on Church Street which was to have 5 rooms and a bath.
About 1926, James M. Biddle built and operated a movie theater on the new Dixie Highway (now U.S.1) in Bunnell for several years. He sold The Biddle Theater Building (The Flagler Theater) in Feb 1929 to W B Price and J P Roberts who had recently established a Hudson-Essex automobile agency in Bunnell under the firm name of Price-Roberts Motor Company, Inc.
The Flagler Theater operated as such until 1946 when it was closed down when the new Bunnell Theater, adjoining the Holden building on the northwest corner of Moody Blvd and U.S. 1, began operations on 28 Feb 1946. Ernest R (Ernie) Decker bought the Flagler Theater building from F J Chambers in Feb 1946 with the intention of making it an automotive garage. The building was still standing in April 2007 and was being used as an apartment building.
He was also in the real estate business before moving to Green Cove Springs, FL
While in Bunnell the family was active in the Methodist Church with James Biddle serving as Superintendent of the Sunday School. The youngest child was born after their move to Flagler County. Their children are;
1. John Harold Biddle born 28 Sep 1902, McKeesport, Allegheny CO, PA, died 23 Dec 1922, Flagler CO, FL (tractor accident). He is buried in Espanola Cemetery, Espanola, Flagler CO, FL.
2. Kenneth Edward Biddle. born 31 Oct 1903, PA, died 06 Nov 1991, Gainesville, Alachua CO, FL, married 20 Nov 1921, Bartlett Home, Flagler CO, FL by Judge W Lee Bartlett to Augie Hunter, dau of James Aldridge Hunter and Ruth Raulerson, born 04 Oct 1903, FL, died 06 Feb 1970, St Johns CO, FL. Issue;
(1) Mildred Elizabeth Biddle, born about 1924, Bunnell, Flagler CO, FL, married 08 Mar 1943, Levy CO , FLDeCosta M Cellon, Jr., son of DeCosta M Cellon and Jewell C. LNU, born Oct 1923, FL.
He was employed with the United States Engineering Department until Nov 1942 when he enlisted in the US Army Corps of Engineers and was stationed at Fort Leonard Wood, MO in Mar 1943 with the rank of corporal. Issue;
A. Denny Cellon, born 12 Feb 1945, Gainesville, Alachua CO, FL
B. Jimmy Cellon
C. Craig Cellon
(2) Evelyn Biddle, born 17 Dec 1926, Bunnell, Flagler CO, FL.
3. Margaret Biddle, born 12 Sep 1905, Pittsburgh, Allegheny CO, PA, died 24 Apr 1938, Daytona Beach, Volusia CO, FL, married 02 Jun 1923, DeLand, Volusia CO, FL, Oliver Lloyd Moody, son of William Angus Moody and Mary Alice Griffin, born 29 May 1895, Barnwell CO, SC, died 29 Oct 1984, Daytona Beach, Volusia CO, FL.
Her obituary said she was buried at Espanola Cemetery, Espanola, Flagler CO, FL, however, the compiler has been unable to locate her grave. There is a grave stone for her in Hickory Grove Cemetery, Clay CO, FL. Issue;
(1) Oliver Lloyd Moody Jr, born 1928, Daytona Beach, Volusia CO, FL
4. Homer Monroe Biddle, born 11 Jun 1909, PA, died 15 Sep 1971, Volusia CO, FL, married Gertrude (LNU). He was a school teacher and taught the commercial subjects the first year these courses were offered in Bunnell High School in 1935-36 term. They had twin boys born 12 Oct 1937, Glendale Hospital, Palatka, Putnam CO, FL.
5. Elnora Biddle, born 31 Oct 1910, McKeesport, Allegheny CO, PA, died 14 Feb 1914, McKeesport, Allegheny CO, PA
6. LaVerne May Biddle, born 12 Sep 1912, McKeesport, Allegheny CO, PA, died 09 Apr 1913, McKeesport, Allegheny CO, PA
7. James Orville Biddle, born 18 Mar 1914, McKeesport, Allegheny CO, PA, died 06 Aug 1983, Jasper, Hamilton CO, FL, married on 10 Mar 1934, Clay CO, FL, Hazel I. Lucas, dau of Frederick J. Lucas & Ruth M. LNU, born 21 Oct 1914, FL, died 07 Oct 2002, Jacksonville, Duval CO, FL. Both are buried in Evergreen Cemetery, Jasper, Hamilton CO, FL.
8. Ellis Richard Biddle, born 07 Aug 1915, McKeesport, Allegheny CO, PA, died 03 Sep 1902, Seffner, Hillsborough CO,FL.
Yeoman Biddle served in the U.S. Navy during WW II. A story in The Flagler Tribune, January 21, 1943 said that “Yeoman and Mrs. Ellis Biddle are the parents of a son born on January 17th in Elizabeth City, N.C. Ellis is a yeoman in the navy and has been at Elizabeth for a year.”
9. Nellie Marie Biddle, born 12 Jul 1923, Flagler CO, GA, died 19 Nov 2006, Lawrenceville, Gwinnett CO, GA, married on 02 May 1970, Alachua CO, FL, Arthur McGee "Joe" Pope, son of Arthur M. Pope & Pearl Adams, born 03 Apr 1919, Florence, Florence CO, SC, died 19 Aug 1994, Atlanta, Fulton CO, GA
Source: The First Families of Flagler by Mary Ketus Deen Holland who cites as sources; Census and Ruth Biddle Upson.
Additional sources used by the compiler were: 1880 United States Federal Census, North Huntington Township, Westmoreland CO, PA; 1900 United States Federal Census, McKeesport Ward 5, Allegheny CO, PA; 1910 United States Federal Census, McKeesport Dist 140, Allegheny CO, PA; 1930 United States Federal Census, Daytona Beach, Volusia CO, FL; 1930 United States Federal Census, Green Cove Springs, Clay CO, FL; 1930 United States Federal Census, Jacksonville, Dist 50, Duval CO, FL;
South Carolina Delayed Birth Records, 1766-1900; City of Charleston, SC, Delayed Birth Records, 1877-1901; U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946; World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 Record;
Florida Marriage Collection, 1927-2001; Social Security Death Index Record; Florida Death Index, 1877-1998; The Flagler Tribune, Bunnell, FL, 24 Nov 1921, 28 Dec 1922, 28 Jun 1923, 02 Jul 1925, 23 Dec 1926, 28 Apr 1938, 21 Jan 1943, 15 Feb 1945, 17 Nov 1966 and John P Biddle family information provided via email by Donald Biddle, 05 Jan 2009.
Please send questions, corrections or additions to Sisco Deen, P.O. Box 637, Flagler Beach, FL 32136 or email him at Sisco_Deen@hotmail.com
SKETCH UPDATED: 17 May 2020