Alfred Roland Brooks
Alfred Roland Brooks, son of Joseph Jefferson Brooks and Louisa Driggers, was born 01 May 1886, FL, died 14 Jul 1945, Seminole CO, FL, married about 1907, Martha Ann (Mattie) Burris, born 17 Mar 1885, St Johns CO, FL, died 27 Nov 1969, Ormond Beach, Volusia CO, FL. He is buried in Bostwick, Putnam CO, FL, She is buried in Hope, now Flagler Palms Memorial Gardens, Cemetery, Flagler CO, FL
The family is found on page 17 of the 1920 census of Flagler County, with his occupation listed "Wood Sawyer." It is not known when the family moved to the area. They lived east of Bunnell. They were the parents of six children;
1. Robert Emery Brooks born 25 Jun 1909, Green Cove Springs, Clay CO, FL, died 17 Jul 1964, Bunnell Clinic & Hospital, Bunnell, Flagler CO, FL, buried Espanola Cemetery, Espanola, Flagler CO, FL. He married Edelle (LNU). Issue:
(1) Jackie Brooks married (FNU) Hunter. Issue;
A. Melba June Hunter
(2) Robert Emery Brooks, Jr, born about 1945, FL
2. Addie Ezell Brooks, born 06 Jan 1912, FL, died 09 Apr 1996, Bunnell, Flagler CO, FL, married Lewis Woods, son of Thomas Woods and Ellen Driggers, born 18 Dec 1904, FL, died 07 Jun 1989, Bunnell, Flagler CO, FL. Both buried Hope, now Flagler Palms Memorial Gardens, Cemetery, Flagler CO, FL. Issue:
(1) Inez Ezell Woods, born about 1927, Flagler CO, FL, married 07 Jun 1945, Palatka, Putnam CO, FL, Robert Felton Hudson.
Robert was a former resident of O'Brien, FL and a graduate of Mayo (FL) High School. He was employed at Camp Blanding, FL sometime before entering the Navy. In Jun 1945, he was stationed at the Bunnell Naval Air Field. She was a member of Bunnell High School class of 1945. Issue;
(A) Robert Hudson
(2) Helen Elizabeth (Betty) Woods, born around 1928, married 29 Dec 1949, Live Oak, Suwannee CO, FL, Harvey M Hunter of Charlotte, Mecklenburg CO, NC.
(3) Lois Ezell Woods, born around 1938, married between 1954-1978, Homer Lee Buckles, son of Abraham Harold Buckles and Eula Lee Richardson, born Bunnell, Flagler CO, FL. Issue;
A. Sherrell Buckles
B. Deborah Buckles
C. Karen Lee Buckles, born 19 Oct 1961, Flagler Clinic & Hospital, Bunnell, Flagler CO, FL, married Sep 1979, First Baptist Church, Farmer's Branch, Dallas CO, TX, Joseph Mack King, Jr, son of Joseph Mack King and Haroldine Bowden.
NOTE: Homer Lee Buckles was first married to Mary Louise Gowen, they had two sons, Frank and Randall. Homer married 3rd, Cecelia Anne (Betty) Zuber
(4) Lewis Howard Woods, born and died 1938, Flagler CO, FL, buried Hope, now Flagler Palms Memorial Gardens, Cemetery, Flagler CO, FL
3. Thomas Shelton Brooks, born 02 Dec 1914, Bostwick, Putnam CO, FL, died 18 Aug 2007, Bunnell, Flagler CO, FL, married Lucille (Lucy) Roberts, born 09 Nov 1919, died 27 Nov 2004,FL. Both buried Hope, now Flagler Palms Memorial Gardens, Cemetery, Flagler CO. S/Sgt Brooks, U. S. Army, served in Calcutta, India with the 691st Base Equipment Company in WW II. He enlisted at Camp Blanding, FL on 23 Dec 1943 and was discharged in 1946
He came to Bunnell when he was one year old. He was trained as a mechanic and for many years was owner and operator of the Lake Terrace Garage (he purchased it in Mar 1946 from Frank Croscin) and was also the owner and operator of S. Brooks and Son Shell Service Station in Bunnell.
Shelton was very active in the Masonic order. He was Past Master of Bunnell Lodge No. 200, F&AM (1952, 1964), Past Patron of the Order of Eastern Star Chapter No. 92 and was a founding member of the Flagler CO Shrine Club serving as its president in 1956. He served as Grand Instructor for the 15th District in 1954-1955 and as District Deputy Grand Master in 1963. In May 1965, he was appointed the Grand Standard Bearer by the Grand Master of Mason, Clyde A Gleason at the Grand Communication of the Grand Lodge, F & AM of Florida.
Sheldon was ordained to the Gospel Ministry at the First Baptist Church of Bunnell on 19 Dec 1965. After being called to the ministry, he was pastor of Providence Baptist Church and the Hammock Baptist Church. He was very active in the mission field and started several missions in Flagler CO that became the First Baptist Church of Palm Coast, the Community Baptist Church of Korona and the Westside Baptist Church in Daytona North and served as pastor of these three churches.
Rev. Brooks was an educator who taught Gasoline Engines at Crescent City High School in Putnam CO and beginning in 1972 was the vocational guidance counselor for Bunnell High School and then Flagler-Palm Coast High School until his retirement in 1985.
(1) Zelda Louise Brooks, born about 1938 married 30 Jan 1960, First Baptist Church, Bunnell, Flagler CO, FL, Joe Kelly Smith.
Zelda was a graduate of Bunnell High School and received a degree in education from Stetson University in Feb 1960. There she was a member of Phi Mu Sorority and Tau Beta Sigma Band Sorority. She received her master's degree from Florida State University in May 1964 and later obtained a doctorate degree.
Zelda married 2nd 14 Feb 1975, Broward CO, FL, Dr. Richard Leland Carner, Ph.D., on of Leland T Carner and Ann Walwrath, born 20 Dec 1922 in Syracuse, NY, died 15 Mar 2015, St Augustine, St Johns CO, FL.
Dr. Carner was a U.S. Army Air Corps veteran of WW II serving in Europe with the 93rd Troop Carrier Squardon who was charged with dropping supplies, towing gliders and dropping paratroopers. Upon returning from WW II, Richard attended Syracuse University earning there his Bachelors, Masters and Doctorate of Philosophy degrees. He was a professor at the University of Miami from 1962-1984. Dr Carner was an avid photographer and amateur astronomer.
(2) Thomas Shelton (Chip) Brooks Jr, born 13 Jan 1956, Halifax Hospital, Daytona Beach, Volusia CO, FL, married 03 Nov 1979, Covenant Presbyterian Church, Fort Myers, Lee CO, FL, Sara Madeline Lazenby, dau of Don P Lazenby.
4. Isaac Lamar Brooks born Apr 1917 Bunnell, Flagler CO, FL, died 22 Jun 1951, Palm Beach CO, FL near West Palm Beach and is buried at Hope Cemetery (now Flagler-Palms Memorial Gardens) in Flagler CO, FL. He married Pearl (LNU). He served in India and China in the U S Army during W W II. Issue;
(1) Gene Brooks
(2) David Brooks
(3) Betty Brooks
5. Ola Dee Brooks, born 06 Jul 1920 FL, married Ernest R (Ernie) Decker, son of William Washington Decker, born about 1915, KY.
Ernie bought the Flagler Theater building from F J Chambers in Feb 1946 with the intention of making it an automotive garage. The building was erected ay J M Biddle about 1926 as a theater and was operated as such until 1946 when it was closed down when the new Bunnell Theater, adjoining the Holden building on the northwest corner of Moody Blvd and U.S. 1 began operations on 28 Feb 1946. Issue;
(1) Shelby Decker
6. Arnold Adolph Brooks, b 15 Oct 1922, Bunnell, Flagler CO, FL, died 19 May 1972, JFK Mem Hos, Lake Worth, Palm Beach, CO, FL, buried Hope, now Flagler Palms Memorial Gardens, Cemetery, Flagler CO, FL. He married Ailie (LNU)
Source: The First Families of Flagler by Mary Ketus Deen Holland who listed the following sources, Census and Shelton Brooks.
Additional sources used by the compiler were: U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946 Record; Florida Death Index, 1877-1998; Florida Marriage Collection, 1927-2001;Social Security Death Index; The Flagler Tribune, Thursday, 19 Jul 1945, The Flagler Tribune, Thursday, 14 Jun 1945, pg 3; The Flagler Tribune, Thursday 23 Jul 1964, pg 1; Civilian Draft Registration - Flagler CO, FL - 1917-1918, U.S. Phone and Address Directories, 1993-2002 and U.S. Public Records Index.
Please send questions, corrections or additions to Sisco Deen, P.O. Box 637, Flagler Beach, FL 32136 or email him at Sisco_Deen@hotmail.com