David Benton Brown
David Benton Brown, son of Thomas Brown and Rachel Mill, was born Apr 1852, OH, died 13 Dec 1929, Daytona Beach, Volusia CO, FL, married about 1882, OH, Minnie Truman, born Jan 1861, Woodville, Sandusky CO, OH, died 10 Jul 1945, Flagler Hospital, St Augustine, St Johns CO, FL. Both are buried Hope, now Flagler Memorial Gardens, Cemetery, Flagler CO, FL.
The family is listed on page 34 of the 1920 census of Flagler County. He received a medical degree from Cincinnati University. When their oldest son developed tuberculosis Dr Brown took him to Arizona, however on returning to Toledo, Ohio he died. While in Arizona, Dr. Brown was certified as a specialist in the treatment of tuberculosis and he also served as a doctor in the armed services in Texas.
The son Dale first came to Jacksonville, Fla to work in the postoffice and was followed by his mother and sister, Neva. They moved to the St. Johns Park area of St. Johns County and were listed on page 57 of the 1910 census. Dale worked on a boat operating between St. Johns Park and Crescent City. Mrs Brown was in charge of the dining room at the hotel, Neva and Dale played in the orchestra and Dale was a member of the local band. Dr Brown came to St. Johns Park about 1913 and though he never took the Florida Medical Examination, he delivered many babies and tended the sick in the area.
They moved to Bunnell when Dr Brown was elected Superintendent of Public Instruction for Flagler County. He served as Superintendent of Public Instruction and on the board for two terms (8 Jan 1921 to 6 Jan 1925),(06 1925 to 8 Jan 1929) Mr and Mrs Brown were charter members of the First Baptist Church of Bunnell and they were very active in the church activities. They were the parents of three children;
1. Thurman Glenn Brown, born Dec 1885, Pemberville, Wood CO, OH, died about 1905, Toledo, Lucas CO, OH.
2. Dale Benton Brown, born 17 Dec 1890 Pemberville, Wood CO, OH, died 21 May 1970 Orlando, Orange CO, FL, married Charlotte Yonkers, dau of George Peter Yonkers and Louise Braymiller, born 27 Oct 1889, Buffalo, Erie CO, NY, died 17 Aug 1942 Bunnell, Flagler CO, FL. Both are buried Hope, now Flagler Memorial Palm Gardens, Cemetery, Flagler CO, FL.
He assisted in the commissary in Dupont that Utley J. White operated for his sawmill, stave mill and logging business. He operated a general store in St. Johns Park before moving to Bunnell and serving as Clerk of the Circuit Court of Flagler County from 1928 until 1945, after which he moved to Mount Dora.
A story in The Flagler Tribune, Thursday, January 24, 1945, says that “Dale B Brown, clerk of the circuit court here for 18 years, has filed his resignation with Governor Millard Caldwell to become effective March 1, Brown announced this week.
Mr Brown, who has an orange grove adjacent to Leesburg and other business interests, was deputy clerk in the office from 1925 to 1928 when he was appointed clerk to fill the unexpired term of J C Geiger who died.
Mr Brown has succeeded himself each four years since that time, having no opposition when he ran in 1940.” Issue;
(1) Dale Benton Brown Jr, born 14 May 1915 St. Johns Park, St Johns now Flagler CO, FL, died 04 Jan 1990 Bunnell, Flagler CO, FL, married 06 Mar 1946 Baptist parsonage, Bunnell, Flagler CO, FL, Rosemary Iverson, dau of Andrew John Iverson Jr, and Elizabeth Woodburn, born 10 Sept 1923 Newton, Middlesex CO, MA, died 03 Aug 2000, Bowman’s Nursing Center, Ormond Beach, Volusia CO, FL. Both buried Hope, now Flagler Palms Memorial Gardens, Cemetery, Flagler CO, FL
He was a Cpl in U S Army in W W II with overseas duty in Italy, serving about 20 months overseas. He had 370 combat days to his credit. He was a charter member of Flagler CO’s first VFW Post, serving as their judge advocate.
He served as Tax Collector of Flagler CO, FL from 6 Nov 1962 until retirement. Issue;
A. David Dale Brown, born 21 Dec 1946, Halifax District Hospital, Daytona Beach, Volusia CO, FL, died 17 Mar 2020, Phenix City, AL, married 26 May 1973, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, LA, Brenda Larose, dau of J Browne Larose, Jr and Rosary Byrne. In Aug 1977 he was regional manager for Raymond International Construction based out of New Orleans, LA. Issue;
a. Jennifer Ann Brown, born 09 Aug 1974, Northside Hospital, Atlanta, Cobb CO, GA, married Steve Owen
b. Michael Brown, married Morga. Issue;
aa. Mary-Claire Brown
bb. Benton Brown
(2) June Brown b 24 Jul 1917 St. Johns Park, St Johns now Flagler CO, married 25 Sept 1941, Hamilton Hunt Paulling III, son of Hamilton Hunt Paulling, Jr and Robert M (LNU), born 01 June 1912, Leesburg, Lake CO, FL, died 04 Dec 1995, Leesburg, Lake CO, FL.
In Oct 1941, Hamilton was a superintendent of the J D Manley Construction Company of Leesburg, FL, he later was a fern grower in Lake CO, FL.
June was a graduate of Bunnell High School and received her commercial training at Stetson Univ in DeLand. In Oct 1941, she was employed by the law office of H T Cook in Bunnell, FL. Issue;
A. Hamilton Hunt Paulling IV, born 16 Mar 1943, Puerto Rico, died 04 Apr 1998, Lake CO, FL.
B. Robert Dale Paulling, born 11 Feb 1945, Leesburg, Lake CO, FL, died 14 Nov 1983, Leesburg, Lake CO, FL
Dale Benton Brown married 18 Mary 1945, Presbyterian Church, South Jacksonville, Duval CO, FL, Florence Davis.
NOTE: Florence Davis was previously married to CE Hawkins, Issue; Ruth and Helen Hawkins
3. Neva Brown, born 01 Feb 1893 Pemberville, Wood CO, OH, died 30 Nov 1982, Volusia CO, FL, married Hervey Alexander (Mutt) Eisenbach, son of Rudolph Carl J Eisenbach and Dora Marie (LNU), born 25 Feb 1892, Lafayette, Tippecanoe CO, IN, died 12 Dec 1946, Daytona Beach, Volusia CO, FL. Both buried Hope, now Flagler Palms Memorial Gardens, Cemetery, Flagler CO, FL. They had two children, Carl Benten (CB) and Minna Mardelle Eisenbach. (See sketch on Hervey Alexander (Mutt) Eisenbach for additional information on this family)
Source: The First Families of Flagler by Mary Ketus Deen Holland who cited the following sources, Census, Published Articles and Public Records.
Additional sources used by the compiler were: Census, 1900, Wood CO, OH, Freedom, Dist 140, 4 Jun 1900 by James E Fish; 1910 United States Federal Census, Toledo Ward 6, Lucas, OH; 1910 United States Federal Census, Precinct 7, St Johns CO, FL; 1920 United States Federal Census, St Johns CO, FL; Brown Family - by David Dale Brown, 2-20-2005, "Electronic;" The Flagler Tribune, Thursday,25 Mar 1943, pg 3;The Flagler Tribune, Thursday, January 24, 1945; The Flagler Tribune, Thursday,15 Feb1945, pg 3. Social Security Death Index; Florida Death Index, 1877-1998; and U.S. Public Records Index.
Please send questions, corrections or additions to Sisco Deen, P.O. Box 637, Flagler Beach, FL 32136 or email him at Sisco_Deen@hotmail.com